Stark County man dies in custody of Canton Police; man identified, investigation ongoing


  • Daystar Malvern
  • Daystar North Canton
  • screenshot 2024 02 07 at 5.11.09 pm
  • Kishman's
  • Crowl Interiors in Malvern, Ohio
  • slam dunk
  • screen shot 2023 10 25 at 4.28.31 pm
  • lifecare rotator ad

A 53-year-old man from East Canton is dead following an incident involving two officers within the Canton Police Department.

Officers were called to a one-vehicle accident in the 1700 Block of Sherrick Rd SE just after 8:15 p.m., where they found a power pole in the roadway, sheared as a result of the accident. The suspect vehicle was discovered unoccupied nearby. Witnesses directed Canton police officers to the AMVETS at 1822 Sherrick Rd SE, where it was reported that the driver had fled.

At the AMVETS location, officers encountered Frank E. Tyson, 53, from East Canton, who engaged in a struggle with them, according to a press release from the police department. Despite being secured in handcuffs, Tyson became unresponsive, the release stated. Officers administered CPR and multiple doses of Narcan before Canton Fire Department Medics arrived. Tyson was then transported to Aultman Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 9:18 p.m.

The Ohio Attorney General’s Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI) was notified to conduct an independent investigation into the incident, according to Canton Police Chief John Gabbard. Following department policy, Officers Beau Schoenegge and Camden Burch, both assigned to the Traffic Bureau and the primary responders to the incident, have been placed on paid administrative leave.

Chief Gabbard expressed condolences, stating, “I want to extend my deepest sympathy to those close to Mr. Tyson. Based on experience, I am confident that BCI will conduct a very thorough review. Out of respect for the independence of that investigation, I am limited in my ability to comment further.”

Canton Mayor William Sherer also offered condolences to Tyson’s family, affirming the city’s commitment to transparency throughout the investigative process. “My intention is for us, as the City of Canton and a police department, to be fully transparent throughout this entire process,” said Sherer. “We will make sure we comply with all protocols to ensure BCI has what is necessary to conduct what I know will be a thorough investigation.”

Sherer added that his office plans to allow Tyson’s family to view the body camera footage before its release to the public.

“Incidents like these are always difficult and challenging for a community,” he said. “The City of Canton has my word that this office will be transparent with them when difficult times arise. I have full faith in the leadership of Chief John Gabbard as we navigate these waters.”