The Stark County man accused of killing 26-year-old Ryan “JJ” Godbey died by suicide Wednesday morning inside the Stark County Jail, ending a high-profile homicide case that was nearing a major court development.
Daniel Mattay, 34, was found unresponsive inside the jail and later pronounced dead, according to the Stark County Sheriff’s Office. Authorities have not released additional details surrounding the circumstances of his death.
Mattay had been indicted on Aug. 27 on charges of murder, felonious assault, strangulation, domestic violence, tampering with evidence and gross abuse of a corpse. He initially pleaded not guilty.
Court records showed Mattay was scheduled for a new plea hearing on Dec. 10 — a development first reported by Jordan Miller News — signaling he was expected to change that plea as the case approached a February trial.
Godbey Last Seen Leaving Canton Club
Godbey, 26, was a well-known performer in Canton’s drag community, regularly appearing under the stage name “JJ” at Darlin’s CREW. They were last seen alive on June 19 after leaving the club. When Godbey stopped responding to messages and did not return home, their family reported them missing three days later.
Investigators quickly identified Mattay — an acquaintance of Godbey — as a person of interest based on evidence indicating the two were together the night Godbey disappeared.
Partial Remains Located
After weeks of searching, authorities discovered partial human remains in a rural area. The Stark County Coroner’s Office confirmed the remains belonged to Godbey. Due to the condition of the remains, investigators have not released a cause of death, but prosecutors said the evidence supported the slate of charges brought against Mattay.
Criminal Case Concludes With Mattay’s Death
The newly scheduled plea hearing suggested the case was entering a pivotal phase. With Mattay’s death in the jail Wednesday, the criminal proceedings will not move forward. Prosecutors have not said whether additional investigative findings will be made public.
Godbey’s family and friends, along with members of the region’s LGBTQ+ and drag communities, have been vocal in seeking answers and justice throughout the months-long investigation. The family has not yet commented on the latest development.
This is a developing story. JMN will continue to follow updates as they become available.

