The Minerva Local Board of Education met Aug. 18 to approve staffing changes, review financial reports, and hear updates from Superintendent Mark Scott on the district’s start to the school year.
Board members present were President Rob Yeagley, Don Spinell, Robert Clark and Susan Crawford. Dr. Freeland was absent.
Scott reported a strong start to the 2025-26 academic year, noting high turnout at recent events including “Futbol Friday” on Aug. 15, the Minerva High School Back to School Bash Block Party, and open house events scheduled across all buildings. The Minerva High School marching band was recognized for representing the district in the Pro Football Hall of Fame Parade.
The district also launched a new website and communication platform through Apptegy, which Scott said had already generated more than 600 app downloads. The platform will be used for news, notifications and increased engagement through social media, calls and texts.
Other updates included the completion of a new roof at Minerva Elementary School, undefeated 14-0 starts for the boys and girls golf teams, and the successful rollout of transition programs for kindergarten students and incoming freshmen. Scott also said the district is preparing for new legislation, including House Bill 8, the “Parents’ Right to Know Bill,” and a districtwide cell phone policy.
In action items, the board approved an interagency agreement with Harcatus Head Start, recognition of non-school groups for insurance purposes, and a memorandum of understanding with Stark County Mental Health and Addiction Recovery.
The treasurer’s report included approval of expenditures totaling $2.23 million in June and $2.23 million in July, as well as cash reconciliations for both months.
Personnel actions included accepting the retirements of middle school teachers Victoria Stafford and Loren Shaver; hiring Maggie Masl as an eighth-grade English language arts teacher; and approving several permanent substitute teachers, bus aides, cafeteria workers and extracurricular positions.
Supplemental coaching and activity contracts were amended, including changes for band and football staff. The board also accepted the resignation of bus aide Jonathon Gassman and approved new hires for the role.
The meeting adjourned at 8:16 a.m. The next meeting is scheduled for 6 p.m. Sept. 15 at the Minerva Local Schools administration building.

