North Canton City Schools lift lockdown after police investigate threat call at Hoover High School

Share:

img 6817
img 6817

North Canton City Schools were briefly placed under a soft lockdown Wednesday afternoon after police investigated a threat call made to Hoover High School, officials said.

The district announced the lockdown around 12:48 p.m., saying it was implemented out of an abundance of caution while the North Canton Police Department investigated. Additional officers were sent to the high school campus during the investigation.

Police Chief Frank Kemp said in a statement that the department worked closely with Hoover High School administration after the situation was brought to their attention earlier in the day.

“Out of an abundance of caution, additional officers were present on campus to ensure safety and provide support,” Kemp said. “We understand the importance of transparency and want to reassure parents and community members that we are taking all necessary steps to maintain a secure environment.”

Kemp thanked school officials and community members for their cooperation and vigilance, encouraging anyone with information or concerns to contact police or use anonymous reporting channels.

The district lifted the lockdown around 1:31 p.m. and said all buildings had been cleared. End-of-day dismissal proceeded as normal, though police maintained an increased presence at school properties for the rest of the day as a precaution.

District officials thanked families for their understanding as the safety of students and staff remained the top priority.