More than 70 shots were fired outside a Canton banquet hall Monday night during a celebration of life event, striking multiple vehicles and homes, according to police.
Officers were called around 7:25 p.m. to Nazir Grotto Hall on 6th Street SW after dispatchers received several 911 calls reporting gunfire. When officers arrived, they encountered a chaotic scene with dozens of people outside and more than 75 individuals inside the hall, reports state.
Witnesses told police that multiple shooters opened fire from outside the building. Officers recovered at least 75 spent shell casings on the south and southeast sides of the hall.
During a sweep of the property, officers found a loaded handgun hidden inside a microwave in a back room. It was collected as evidence.
Several vehicles parked near the banquet hall were struck by gunfire. One attendee told officers their car had been hit. At a nearby home, a resident reported a bullet entered their living room while they were sitting inside. No injuries were reported.
Witnesses provided investigators with video footage appearing to show multiple shooters, though police have not publicly identified any suspects.
Officers attempted to interview guests leaving the event, but reports say no one cooperated with investigators.
The incident remains under investigation. Anyone with information is asked to contact Canton police.


