Trial of Canton officers charged in Frank Tyson’s 2024 in-custody death rescheduled by three months

Share:

The criminal trial of two Canton police officers accused of causing a man’s death while he was in custody in April 2024 has been delayed until the spring.

Visiting Judge James L. Kimbler approved a request on Jan. 21 to move the trial of officers Beau Schoenegge, 26, and Camden C. Burch, 25, to April 20. The case had been scheduled to go before a jury later this month.

Both officers, who are employed by the Canton Police Department, are charged with reckless homicide, a third-degree felony. They have entered not guilty pleas in connection with the April 18, 2024, death of Frank Tyson, 53, of Canton Township.

The postponement was requested by special prosecutor Raymond A. Grogan Jr., who cited a conflict with another trial. Kimbler said Grogan, the elected prosecutor in Marion County, is committed to a separate high-profile case during the original trial dates. Defense attorneys and Tyson’s family raised no objections to the delay.

Tyson’s death followed a series of events that began when he struck a utility pole with his vehicle. After leaving the damaged car, Tyson entered the AMVETS post on Sherrick Road SE. People inside the building became concerned about his behavior and contacted 911 for assistance.

Police body-camera footage and court records show Schoenegge and Burch took Tyson into custody, handcuffed him and positioned him face down on the floor. During the encounter, Tyson repeatedly told officers he was unable to breathe. One officer applied pressure to Tyson’s back with a knee for roughly a minute, according to investigators.

Moments later, Tyson became unresponsive. Officers attempted to provide medical aid, but he was later pronounced dead.

The case has prompted public scrutiny and debate over police restraint techniques and in-custody deaths. A pretrial conference is scheduled for April 7 in Stark County Common Pleas Court.