Stark County firefighters revive cat during house fire


  • Daystar Malvern
  • screen shot 2023 10 25 at 4.28.31 pm
  • lifecare rotator ad
  • Crowl Interiors in Malvern, Ohio
  • screenshot 2024 02 07 at 5.11.09 pm
  • Daystar North Canton
  • Kishman's
  • slam dunk

A residential structure fire broke out at 1111 Glenwood St SW on the evening of May 8. The North Canton Fire Department swiftly responded to the scene after receiving the dispatch call at 8:55 p.m.

Upon arrival, firefighters discovered flames emanating from a second-floor window of the two-story home. The occupants of the home, two adults and two children, had already evacuated and were unharmed, standing in the driveway.

Fire crews immediately initiated an exterior attack to suppress the fire before gaining entry through the front door. As they entered the building, they encountered light smoke on the first floor. Firefighters made their way to the second floor, where they confronted intense heat and heavy smoke. The fire was successfully extinguished in the hallway, and they proceeded to enter the room engulfed in flames.

After bringing the bulk of the fire under control, crews conducted overhaul operations to ensure there was no further extension of the fire. The incident was declared as “strikeout” at 9:34 p.m.

Amidst their efforts to combat the fire, additional firefighters conducted a thorough search of the residence, particularly looking for two cats.

Fortunately, one of the cats was found alive, although it was struggling to breathe due to smoke inhalation. The North Canton Fire Department’s personnel administered oxygen to the feline using a pet oxygen hood and promptly contacted For Paws Blue Cross Animal Hospital for further assistance. The cat was transported by North Canton Fire and North Canton Police personnel to the veterinary hospital, where it received treatment for smoke inhalation. Thankfully, the cat’s condition has improved, and a full recovery is expected.

The residence suffered significant fire damage to the second floor, with water damage affecting the rest of the home. Damage estimates for both the structure and its contents amount to $100,000. Currently, the displaced family and their pets are temporarily staying with relatives while the recovery process takes place. Two dogs residing in the home were unharmed. Unfortunately, multiple reptiles within the property did not survive the incident. Another cat was later located.

Preliminary investigations conducted by the North Canton Fire Department indicate that the fire’s likely cause was organic material stored in a bedroom, which may have spontaneously ignited. Thankfully, no casualties or injuries were reported among firefighters or residents.