The Canton Twp. Fire Department and the Stark County Hazmat team responded early Monday morning to a chemical release at US Ecology located at 2050 Central Ave SE in Canton Township.

The first call came in just before 8am for reports of a man on the ground, according to Canton Township Fire Department Chief Chris Smith.

The chemical release was Hydrogen Sulfide.

"They have an outdoor air and opened facility. The exposure happened as they were treating their chemical process," said Chief Smith.

Five people were transported to the hospital, according to Chief Smith. The initial worker exposed to the chemical is said to be in critical condition.

US Ecology released the following statement to JMN:

“We are aware of an incident at our facility in Canton, Ohio and are cooperating with authorities as they investigate. The occurrence poses no threat to the health or safety of the public. Safety is our top priority and we will continue to provide updated information as it becomes available.”

US Ecology

This is a developing story.