14-year-old suspect arrested in Akron shooting that wounded two teens

Share:

A 14-year-old boy has been arrested in connection with a shooting that left two teenagers wounded in Akron last week, police said.

According to an update released by Akron police, the suspect was taken into custody Wednesday in the 1700 block of Piedmont Avenue by the Northern Ohio Violent Fugitive Task Force. He has been charged with two counts of felonious assault and is being held at the Summit County Juvenile Detention Center.

The arrest follows a shooting reported around 5:55 p.m. Friday, April 24, on West Salome Avenue near Carlysle Street.

When officers arrived, they found two 14-year-old boys inside a residence suffering from gunshot wounds. One victim had been shot in the chest and was found near the front door. The second victim was located in the living room with a gunshot wound to the pelvic area.

Both were transported by Akron Fire Department paramedics to Akron Children’s Hospital. Police said their injuries are believed to be non-life-threatening.

Investigators recovered multiple shell casings at the scene and determined the victims were shot while on the front porch of the home.

Preliminary information indicated the suspect or suspects fled the area in a white sedan. Detectives have said the shooting appears to be an isolated incident and that there is no ongoing threat to the community.

The investigation remains ongoing.